One of our internal users (of our SPS instance) wanted to redirect an old list to a new list. I did not want to create a code-based solution (e.g. an aspx page, et al) and with the friendly "Apache could do this" jabbing I got from this guy I decided to see if IIS would handle it. And it did … really easy:
- On the filesystem in your webroot, create a folder structure mimicking the URL:
- Open IIS Management console and locate that folder
- Right-click on that folder and select properties
- Use the "A redirection to a URL" option in the Directory tab
- Enter the new URL (absolute OR relative) in the Redirect To: box
- Test it
All other sites in that path should remain untouched by IIS but since IIS processes this redirection prior to running the ISAPI filter/extension (e.g. SharePoint) then there is no need to even unmange this path from within SharePoint itself.
Simple. Clean. Quick. Even an Admin can do it!